May 10, 2013

Meet | Jo from Lost In The Haze



During my time shooting for Print Magazine at Wellington Fashion Week last month, I had the pleasure of meeting Jo, a fellow NZ blogger, author of Lost In The Haze. Sharing a love of all things slightly quirky and vintage, we instantly clicked, and I insisted on doing a blog piece about her. This is the first of a new segment on the blog called 'Meet', and it basically involves introducing lovely and inspiring people (such as Jo) to my readers. Enjoy!


Top, Jo's Aunt | Shorts, Pepa Loves | Clogs, Lotta From Stockholm

What are you wearing and where is it from?
The top was recently given to me by my aunt (thanks, Brenda!) though I don't have a clue where she got it from. The print is of handbags and outfits and it even has a sweet little pan collar - just the type of thing I adore! The shorts are my favourite ever. They're from a Madrid label called Pepa Loves. Yellow is my favourite colour ever, and it has an oversized bow too - so of course this is my go-to pair of shorts! Lastly, the red clogs are from a brand called Lotta From Stockholm. 

How would you describe your personal style?
Quirky, silly, girly, and colourful. I like to incorporate retro vibes while mixing with modern quirky pieces. For example, yesterday I wore a vintage mini dress with enormous beehive hair, a cat tote bag and clog boots. Oh, and I try to dress as a sailor as often as possible! 

How long have you been blogging?
I started in February 2011, so almost two and a half years now!

What is the last thing you bought?
Honestly? A couple of hours ago I was in serious need of a nail file, but opted to buy one called a 'male file' which has a photo of a topless man on it. I thought it was quite hilarious! (Obviously I'm a very mature individual!)


Do you have any favourite clothing shops/websites?
I'm very much an online shopper. My favourite online store is probably Modcloth. They have such dreamy and silly clothing - my favourite thing! Lately, I've been especially coveting a skeleton print 
dress that glows in the dark. I'm anxiously waiting for it to come back into stock! 

What is the best piece of advice you have been given?
A few years ago I was out thrifting with my mum. I was in a dilemma over whether to buy a sailor style vintage top or not. Mum said "Jo, if you think you'll regret it, then just buy it!" Best advice ever. I can't count the times where I wish I'd bought something and didn't. Then there's the awful feeling of going back and it being gone. Best of all, mum bought the sailor top for me. Thanks, mum! 

Do you have any fashion/style icons? If so, who are they?
Being a vintage girl at heart, I'm rather influenced by past fashion icons. I really love 1960s style especially! My current favourite is Brigitte Bardot, though I also love Edie Sedgwick and Anna Karina. I'm also very influenced by other fashion bloggers, including Carrie (wishwishwish), Bonnie (flashes of style) and Kerry (yours truly, x).

What is the most treasured item in your wardrobe?
Gosh, it would be so difficult to choose any one thing! Right now I really love my 1950s nurses cape. I'd been looking for one for years, and finally spotted one with my mum last year. Best of all, it only cost $11! The thrifting gods were definitely on my side that day! 

What does 'fashion' mean to you?
A chance to be creative and express yourself. I'm very, very into personal style, so I love to view fashion as a way to show your personality. 

You've recently moved to Wellington. Fashion Week must be an exciting introduction to the city! What are some things you enjoy most about living here?
Firstly, I loooove Wellington. My boyfriend and I lived here for our first year of university. My favourite thing to do is wander around oriental bay in the early hours of the morning. The sun creates the most heavenly light on the hills. It is more dreamy than I could possibly describe! Exploring the museum, Te Papa is another of my favourite things too. I'm not the best at history, but I do love reading about it! 

What brings you to Wellington Fashion Week 2013?
Myself and my partner, Barnaby moved up to Wellington literally a week before Fashion Week. We had no idea it was going to coincide - so it was such a treat! I was approached by a PR company to attend the World show to photograph the footwear for Number One Shoes, then by Boohoo, to snap a bunch of street style photos (which was how I met you! Yippee!)


What was your favourite WFW show/designer, why?
Well, I only actually ended up going to World, and I thought it was pretty great. From the photos I've seen though, I really really loved the Philippa and Alice show. Cute blouses? Two piece suits? Err, yes please..!  

What is your number one thing to have at WFW to survive the week?
A mobile phone. Oh my gosh, I would have been ruined without it. I get lost fairly and uneasy fairly easily, so it helped me navigate the way around fashion week, meet up with bloggers, and get into the shows themselves. Oh, and of course it meant that I was able to Instagram everything! 


quick questions...

One thing you can't live without?
My other half, Barnaby. He's the best!

Tea or coffee?
Err, neither! I'm a hot chocolate girl! Ooh, or sometimes green tea.

Morning or night?
Morning!

Vintage or new?
Vintage. I love finding things that I won't see other people wearing. Or at least I hope I won't! 

Sum up your experience at Wellington Fashion Week in 3 words.
Lots of fun! 

Where can readers find out more about you?
Over on my blog - Lost in the Haze. See you there! 

2 comments:

  1. One of my favourite bloggers - she is adorable and I love her sense of style, so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete